7 Keys to Living Your Most Passionate Life
Are you unstoppable in the pursuit of your dreams? Do you find that you are not even fazed by things that happen to you that others would find uncomfortable or be unwilling to tolerate? More than that, do you always find the blessing in those seemingly undesirable circumstances? If so, congratulations, you are living your life aligned with your passions and are indeed unstoppable!
If not, then pay close attention, I am about to share the 7 keys to living your most passionate life, as discussed in my favorite book The Passion Test, by Janet & Chris Attwood.
1. Commitment ~ This is the foundation….the roots from which your journey will grow and prosper. It is essential that you have an unwavering commitment to living your life according to your passions. That you take responsibility for the life you have created thus far, and the life you are creating in each moment moving forward. To truly commit to your most passionate life, when faced with a choice, you must always choose in favor of your higher passion. It is not always the easiest shift to make, because we are a society that tends to put others needs, wants and desires in front of our own. But I promise, when you do start making your choices based on what will serve your highest self, you will see things falling in place with ease, and you will experience ever-increasing peace and fulfillment.
2. Clarity ~ You may have an idea of what your passions are, but are you clear beyond a shadow of a doubt where each passion ranks? If not, you might want to check out a post I wrote about identifying your passions ~ getting clear on their order of importance is necessary for you to make decisions with ease. This order is not something set in stone, in fact, it is recommended you retake the passion test every 6 months to take in to account the inevitable changes and course corrections that come up in your life. Clarity is essential to living your most passionate life, because as the book states, “when you are clear, what you want will show up in your life, and only to the extent that you are clear.” Without clarity, you won’t know what you’re committing to, so be sure to get crystal clear!
3. Attention ~ Last week I wrote a post on fear, and whether you let the energy paralyze you or propel your forward. This is a good example of the truth that what you put your attention on grows stronger. If you are focused on the fear and all the reasons your dreams won’t come true, well then you are creating the very things that you fear will happen to you! On the flipside, you can take the “fear” feelings and let that energy fuel you. By focusing your “excited” energy on whatever it is you desire on the other side, and then taking one baby step at a time, you will find yourself capable, strong and in the flow of your life!
4. Stay Open ~ Oh this is a big one. People who think they are living their life aligned with their passions and find themselves hitting roadblock after roadblock are often stuck on this one. Have you ever been so clear about where you’re headed, I’m talking so clear that you’ve laid out the step by step plan and you’re just jamming along, all cylinders firing, and then WHAM! Out of nowhere a huge boulder appears right in your path. Do you see that boulder and think that maybe you’re on the wrong path? Or do you re-assess, make adjustments, and do whatever it takes to figure out a way around it, over it, under it or through it? Because if you are to succeed on the path of your destiny, you have to let go of the way you think you will get there. You must stay open in each moment, trusting yourself and the universe to guide you. You have the clarity, the commitment and the focused attention, and then with consistent action, you trust that the how will take care of itself.
5. Integrity ~ Integrity is everything. I love how The Passion Test discusses integrity ~ “be as true to yourself as you are to others and as true to others as you are to yourself.” The challenge lies in following our passions while still meeting our responsibilities to others. This is where your commitment gets tested. Make sure that when you are saying yes, that what you are saying yes to aligns with your passions. Learn to say no lovingly ~ say “I appreciate you asking, and I’m not able to do that right now.” Be sure you say and not but ~ and connects while but separates. This makes a big difference in how the person feels about the communication. Subtle yet powerful. I cannot express how important this step is. Choose your commitments in accordance with your passions, and even then, choose wisely. Whether it’s with another person OR yourself, if you make a commitment, keep it! If something comes up, you can try to renegotiate, but if the other party isn’t able to, then keep your original commitment. Do this a few times, and I promise, you will be more careful about what you commit to!
6. Persistence ~ I recently wrote a post on the Power of Perseverance, and realize that I’ve viewed these two words as interchangeable. So I decided to seek out the distinction, and what I found was this: persistence means sticking to a course of action, while perseverance means sticking to a belief or idea (being steadfast or loyal). Based on that, I would say both words are needed here. It is true that many begin the journey and few finish ~ so persistence is essential. However, what keeps us in action, is our belief….our loyalty to our passions, right? When you are aligned with your passions, persistence comes easily. It’s like I talked about in the opening paragraph, when you are truly living a passionate life, the ups and downs will not throw you off track! You will persist until it is accomplished….well, at least as long as you are staying open! (see #4). 🙂
7. Follow Your Heart ~ When in doubt, follow your heart. I personally believe the key to massive success is to get your head and your heart in sync ~ when that occurs we are powerful beyond measure! Remember what we talked about in #3? What you put your attention on grows stronger! That’s why there is so much emphasis on mindset in personal growth & leadership development ~ the mind is powerful so it’s essential to keep it positive, healthy and clear. Use your heart as the compass to guide you, and your mind as the force to consciously create the life of your dreams!
At the core of living a life aligned with your highest passions is an understanding that it is about a journey, not a destination. It is about loving the process, and in doing so, trusting that the results will take care of themselves.
If you feel like sharing a great passion of yours, I’d love to hear about it in the comments! And if you enjoyed this post, please Retweet or Share with your friends on Facebook!