Roasted Chickpeas Will Rock Your World!
We are a bit obsessed with Roasted Chickpeas of all varieties in our house. Have you tried them? If you haven’t, put this on the top of your make-it-happen list! You will have discovered an insanely delicious, kid-approved snack that is packed with protein, zinc, and folate, making them healthy, filling and seriously addicting!
They are crunchy and oh-so satisfying right out of the oven! OK, you should probably let them cool, but if you have salivating children hanging on your legs, you can always throw some in the freezer for a minute or two, especially if it will prevent a meltdown! 😉
I’ve heard they can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 4 days, but ours never last long enough for me to confirm that! You might even want to double the recipe.
Having tried many flavors and many methods, my boys and I all prefer dry-roasting the chickpeas, and then tossing them in whatever seasoning we are using for the last several minutes. This way the chickpeas get perfectly crunchy without getting charred. Alternatively, you can season them from the start, but I find they crisp up better when you dry roast them. And you end up using less oil.
You can keep things really simple, and just add a bit of olive oil, coconut oil or melted ghee with some sea salt, pepper, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Or you can try a more adventurous combination like the ones I’ve shared below.
- 15oz. can of organic chickpeas (rinsed well) or just under 2 cups fresh cooked chickpeas
- Our Favorite Seasonings:
- Honey Cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp. Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp. Raw Honey
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. Ginger, Nutmeg and Sea Salt (all optional additions to change things up, but we like the simplicity of the honey and cinnamon)
- Spice Blend
- 1 T. EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- ½ tsp. Paprika
- ½ tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Turmeric
- ½ tsp. Cumin
- ¼ tsp. Fresh Cracked Pepper
- ¼ tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 T. EVOO
- 1 T. lime juice
- 1 tsp. Ground Flax
- 1-2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp. Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a tray with parchment paper, or one of these fabulous eco-friendly silicone baking mats.
- Whether you are cooking your own or using organic canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed), you will need to dry them. You can roll them between sheets of paper towel, or use a hand towel, which we prefer. The drier you get them, the crunchier your chickpeas!
- Spread them in a single layer on your tray, and remove and skins that have come loose, as they easily burn.
- Pop the tray in the oven for 40 minutes, opening after 20 minutes to shake the tray to allow for even cooking.
- While they chickpeas cook, prepare your seasoning of choice. See ingredient list above for our favorites.
- minutes before they're finished, remove the tray from the oven, slide the chickpeas into your bowl of seasoning and coat well.
- Pour chickpeas back onto parchment paper or silicone mat, and put back in over for remaining 5 minutes.
- Let cool (as long as you can wait!) and enjoy! 🙂
Of course, the variations are endless, but these are some favorites at our house. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do! As I said, we usually gobble them up pretty quickly, but if any remain, they make a great salad topper with dinner. For any crouton lovers who are new to a gluten-free diet, this is a pretty satisfying switch!
Are you a roasted chickpea lover? Do you have a favorite seasoning to share?